If you have been injured physically or emotionally due to the negligence on the part of another, then a personal injury lawyer is the one person you should go to. A personal injury attorney can help you recover compensation for all the damages that you had to suffer by guiding you through the procedures necessary for filing a personal injury lawsuit. While personal injury lawyers are trained to handle all kinds of injury, very often they specialize in particular fields such as automobile accidents, medical malpractice, defective products and the like.
How to choose a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Consult the American Bar Association for a list of lawyers within your area.
- Ask your friends and relatives to see if they can recommend a good lawyer to you.
- Ask your lawyer for references. They may be able to suggest colleagues who have specialized in handling personal injury cases. You can ask the attorney who prepared your will to suggest personal injury lawyers.
- Once you have short-listed a few probable lawyers, arrange for an appointment to meet up with them. Enquire about his previous cases, his record of accomplishment and also ask him the chances of winning your case and request him/her to get back to you with the details that he could not give you during the meeting.
- Also, enquire about the fee details such as if there is an initial consultation fee and whether or not there will be a fee for evaluating your claim.
- See if you are comfortable working with this lawyer. You will be meeting this person on a regular basis and spending a lot of time with him/her in discussions, so make sure that you can get along with him/her.
- Have patience, but remain regularly updated. A good lawyer will have more than just your case going on at the time. He/she can only work as fast as the opposition will allow. If you were injured in an automobile accident, then your lawyer will have to wait until the insurance companies have completed their formalities and negotiations. Remain patient, but keep asking for updates.
Follow the above given steps to choose an efficient personal injury lawyer who can represent your case for you. For more info on personal injury lawyers and their duties, check out legal resources that are available online. Alternatively, you can go down to your local library and check out their law section.Google+